|“You are a stranger only until you enter Stanmore Shul”
Shabbat 26 February 2005 -
17 Adar 5765
Commences at 5.18pm
Service in Shul at 5.30pm.
SIDRA for the Week:
KI THISSA (page 352 Hertz)
This Week’s HAFTARAH:
I KINGS XVIII, 1 - 39 (page 369 Hertz)
60 DAYS FOR 60 YEARS BOOK (DAY 33)
Blessing of - ARIANA RACHEL GOODMAN
Birth of a Granddaughter – RUTH and MORLEY FRANKS
Birth of a Grandson – BARBARA and BRIAN WOLKIND
Engagement in Israel – RUSSELL WOLKIND and
When he saw them acclaiming the Golden Calf that they themselves had fashioned, Moses broke the Two Tablets, depriving Israel forever of the product of God’s hands. Once man deifies his own intellect, creativity, science and technology, he deserves to forfeits the manifold benefits, blessings and grace inherent in God’s law.
(Rabbi Dr Jeffrey M Cohen)
RABBI ANDREW SHAW will deliver the sermon
and address Ariana Rachel Goodman
CHAZAN HENRY BLACK will lead the service
LEO ORENSTEIN will lead Pesukei DeZimra
DR COLIN BAKER will lein the Sidra
MICHAEL GOODMAN will read the Haftarah
EYAL GOODMAN will lead Anim Zemirot
Hospitality Shamash (gallery): SUSAN STARR
Hospitality Shamash (downstairs): DAVID EPSTEIN
Today’s Presiding Warden: MARTIN CARR
SHACHARIT Main Shul 9.00am
Youth Service 9.30am
Intermediate Service 10.00am
Children’s Service 10.30am
Toddlers’ Service 11.00am
JACQUI and MICHAEL GOODMAN, RUTH and MORLEY FRANKS and BARBARA and BRIAN WOLKIND for their respective semachot have pleasure in inviting the congregation to kiddush in the Freeman Susman Hall following the service.
Bnei Akiva will meet today between 3pm and 5pm
Rabbi Bloom’s Shiur will be at 4.30pm
MINCHA at 5.22pm to be followed by Rabbi Andrew Shaw’s shiur
MA’ARIV at the termination of Shabbat at 6.22pm.
Sunday – Shacharit at 8.30am. Mincha/Maariv at 5.30pm.
Monday - Friday mornings – Shacharit at 7.15am
Monday – Thursday evenings – Maariv only at 8.00pm.
Next Friday Shabbat Mevorchim commences at 5.31pm and service in Shul will be at 5.45pm.
We wish “Mazaltov” to:
- Ariana Rachel Goodman on the occasion of her Batmitzvah which took place in Israel on 14 February. Mazaltov to her parents Jacqui and Michael Goodman, sisters Savanna and Kiara and brother Eyal. Mazaltov also to grandparents Irene Goodman and Marion and Derek Baum and great-great aunt Fella Rotenstein.
- Ruth and Morley Franks on the birth of a granddaughter, Liora Ester. A daughter for Sara and Adam and a sister for Jodie Beth and Eliana Sophie. Mazaltov also to grandparents Frances and Stanley Bookatz.
- Barbara and Brian Wolkind on the birth of a grandson, Aron Michael. A son for Rachel and Simon Yona. Mazaltov also to grandmother Irene Yona and great grandmother Hetty Collins.
- Barbara and Brian Wolkind on the engagement in Israel of their son Russell to Julia Broll. Mazaltov also to Ida and Jonathan Broll (Cape Town).
- Sara and Stuart Diamond on the birth of twin sons Samuel Jake and Benjamin Harry. Mazaltov also to grandparents Susan and Gerald Diamond and Madeleine and Barry Hartog.
- Sophie and Sam Lester on the occasion of their 65th Wedding Anniversary. The marriage took place on 25 February 1940 at Philpot Street Synagogue.
We offer our sincere condolences to the following members:
- Ilana Morris for her mother Musia Shpiro. Shiva terminated.
- Clive Toberman for his mother Stella Toberman. Shiva terminated.
- Barry Koffman on the loss of his father Jack Koffman. Shiva at 18 Bentley Way terminates on Monday morning 28 February.
Rabbi Dr Jeffrey and Gloria Cohen are away on holiday returning on Tuesday 1 March.
4–5 MARCH 2005
A FEW SPACES FOR ALL EVENTS STILL AVAILABLE
Booking by Sunday February 27 - 12 noon essential.
Please note that we do ask that if you wish to attend the Seuda Shlishit that you register this with the Shul office by Sunday February 27 - 12 noon in order to facilitate catering arrangements. (There is no charge for the Seuda Shlishit).
- Scouts, Cubs, Beavers, Guides, Brownies, Rainbows, FZY, JLGB, Art Class, Keep Fit, Israeli Dancing, Friendship Club, JACS and Ivrit – meet as usual.
- Rabbi Melvyn Bloom’s Mishna Shiur – Monday at 8.15pm
- Seed – Mondays at 8.30pm
- Sale - Tuesdays at 8.15pm
- Friendship Club – Tuesdays at 12.30pm.
- JACS – Wednesdays at 1.30pm.
Youth and Community Department (8385 7263)
- SMILE – Sunday at 9.30am
- FILE (year 9) - Sunday at 9.45am
- Club 13 – Sunday at 5.30pm
- S-Café Plus – Tuesday at 7.30pm
- Back to Shushan - Wednesday staggered rehearsals. Please check timetable.
- Late Nite Café – Thursday at 7.30pm
- Brighter Horizons (Bereaved Partners Group) – Visit to Spitalfields, Canary Wharf and Museum in Docklands on Sunday 6 March. Afternoon tea and debate on Sunday 20 March. For details please phone 8954 3300.
- Ladies Guild - Thursday 10 March - Music Night at Finchley Artsdepot, North Finchley. Pre-Yom Tov Hat Sale, Tuesday 5 April at 7.30pm in the Freeman Susman Hall. Orders taken before for men’s hats, please phone with your size and for further details to Anita Bloom 8958 4476.
- Next Bridge Evening, motzei Shabbat 12 March at 8pm. For further details phone Glynis 8954 9954.
- The next meeting of Stanmore Women’s Tefillah Group will be Shabbat 12 March at Oakmead Court, Valencia Road, at 9.45am. All women welcome.
- Advance diary note. Israel Awareness Committee. Any Questions Panel, Thursday 7 April at 8.15pm including Tony McNulty MP, David Ashton, Rosalind Preston OBE and others. For details phone 8954 6590.
- 60th Anniversary of the Liberation of the Bergen-Belsen Concentration Camp. The Stanmore branch of AJEX in collaboration with the Stanmore & Canons Park Synagogue and Stanmore WIZO is organising a visit to Bergen Belsen on Sunday 17 April 2005 in order to take part in the official ceremony and additionally to hold a separate memorial service in a tribute to the thousands who are buried at the site. For fuller details see the AJEX notice board in the Synagogue foyer. For reservations contact Jack Lewis.
Mazaltov to Ariana on her Batmitzvah
from Mummy, Daddy, Savanna, Eyal and Kiara.
The loudspeaker system is not in use on Shabbat/Yom Tov.
The shul loop system for the hard of hearing is in use,
for halachic details please see the notice board.
Please inform the Shul office in writing if you wish the name of a relative or friend to be included in the Prayer for the Sick recited on Shabbat morning.
If you notice that a member has not been attending Shul for a few weeks, please inform the Wardens in order that they can make contact.
If you have any comments about this news sheet, or if you have any information for us to publish, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Twelfth Year of Publication
© 2004 Stanmore & Canons Park Synagogue