Shabbat 12 November 2011 - 15 Cheshvan 5772
Commences at 4:02pm
Mincha & Kabbalat Shabbat at 4:15pm
Sedra for the week:
Vayera - Hertz page 63
Hertz page 76
Barmitzvah - Sammy Jacobs
Aufruf - Adam Savitz on his forthcoming marriage
to Talia Lopian
Golden Anniversary - Marion and Warren Shear
Engagement - Katie Gaunt and Gidi Matlin
- RABBI MENDEL LEW will address the Barmitzvah
- CHAZAN JONNY TURGEL will lead the service
- CLIVE BOXER will lead Pesukei DeZimra
- JEFFREY BAKER will lein the Sedra
- Our Barmitzvah SAMMY JACOBS will read the maftir and haftarah
- Hospitality (upstairs): RUTH PROOPS
- Hospitality (downstairs): MOSHE JUDAH
- This Week's Presiding Warden: LEWIS BLOCH
SHACHARIT - Main Shul
RABBI MELVYN BLOOM's Shiur will be at 3:20pm
MINCHA at 4:06pm - followed by a shiur by RABBI MENDEL LEW
MA'ARIV at the termination of Shabbat at 5:06pm
The Kiddush in the Freeman Susman Hall is sponsored by the
Gaunt, Jacobs, Savitz and Shear families in honour of their semachot
Bnei Akiva meet this Shabbat 3:00-5:00pm
- Shacharit at 8:30am
Mincha & Ma'ariv at 4:15pm
Monday - Friday - Shacharit at 7:15am
Monday - Thursday - Ma'ariv only at 7:30pm
Next Friday - Shabbat begins at 3:52pm
and Service in Shul will be at 4:00pm
Social and Personal
We wish Mazaltov to:
- Sammy Jacobs on his Bar Mitzvah on Shabbat 12 November 2011, and to his parents Nicole and Stuart Jacobs and brother Jonathan. Mazaltov also to grandparents Marie and the late Johnny Jacobs and Beryl Fireman and Jeffrey Austin.
Anne-Marie and Laurence Savitz on the forthcoming marriage of their son Adam Savitz to Talia Lopian. Mazaltov also to Pearl and Shimmy Lopian and
grandparents June Harris, Bunny Savitz and Marrion Lopian.
- Marion and Warren Shear on their golden wedding anniversary. They were married on 14th November 1961 at Dunstan Road Synagogue.
- Lynne and Colin Gaunt on the engagement of their daughter Katie to Gidi Matlin son of Luli and Michel Matlin. Mazaltov also to grandparents Moishe Scott, Jenny and Lawrence Gaunt, Sylvia Matlin and Suzie and Cecil Goldstein.
- Sally Glassman on the engagement of her eldest grandchild, Brocha, daughter of Michael and Shani Glassman to Zisha Geldzahler, son of Herschel and Shifra Geldzahler of Antwerp. Remembering Rev. David Glassman z'l at this time.
- Joan and Brian Graham on the engagement of their grandson Benjamin Graham, son of Miriam and Keith Graham, to Charlotte Levy daughter of Beverley and Neil Levy of Edgware.
We offer our sincere condolences to:
- Bernice Kisner on the loss of her sister Leila Warren. Prayers ended.
- Dana Levene on the loss of her mother Trudie Gould. Prayers ended.
We wish 'Long Life' to the following members on the consecration of Memorial Stones:
- Loelia Harris for her husband, Ben Harris at 11:00am on Sunday 13 November at Bushey.
The Association of Jewish Ex-service Men and Women has the unique privilege of holding the annual Remembrance Event at the Cenotaph in Whitehall on Sunday 20 November where the Chief Rabbi will lead the proceedings.
Your presence at the event is most important.
A tea will be served at shul on your return.
Thursdays will now be a time for In-depth Study at Stanmore and Canons Park.
Starting on 17 November there will be a Gemara shiur with Rabbi Lew, a shiur with Rabbi Kelaty and the Youth Bet Midrash programme on offer - All welcome.
- If you can help with Rainbows on Wednesday afternoons, please contact Nikki Caplan via the shul office
Are you receiving our weekly e-Newsletter? If not please [Sign Up] so as to be kept up to date with everything happening in the Stanmore & Canons Park Community
- If members know of someone who is unwell and who would like to receive a hospital visit or phone call from one of our Rabbonim, they should please contact the synagogue office
- If you know that someone on the Refuah Sheleimah list has recovered, kindly inform the Shul office so that their name can be removed from the list of those needing a prayer for the sick
- Stanmore Synagogue Community Care offers help and support to members in a variety of different ways. Please phone 8954 3300 in total confidence
- Stanmore Community Care urgently needs volunteers to take to and from the Friendship Club on Tuesdays starting at 12.45 and finishing at 2:45pm. Please contact Community Care on 020 8954 3300 if you can help.
- When there is, unfortunately, a bereavement in the community, the shul office sends out an email with the levoya and shiva details. If you wish to be on this shiva email group please contact the office with your email address
- Keep in contact with us and ensure we have your up-to-date contact details including your email address via our [contact] page
- Scouts, Cubs, Beavers, Guides, Brownies, Rainbows, Simcha Dancing, Art Class and Craft Class - please check with leaders
- Take part in our [Living & Learning] Autumn Term
- Rabbi Melvyn Bloom's Mishna Shiur - Monday at 7:45pm
- Ladies Shiur led by Shelley Morris - Tuesday at 10:30am
- Rabbi Mendel Lew's Gemara Shiur - Thursday at 7:45pm
- Rabbi Kelaty's Shiur - Thursday 7:45pm
- Friendship Club - Tuesday at 12:30pm
- J.A.C.S. - Wednesday at 1:30pm
Dates for your Diary
- Thursday 10 November at 8:00pm
Conversion: Who is a Jew? - Dayan Gelley, Daniel Greenberg and Frances Grossman
- Thursday 17 November at 2:00pm
"Catering for a Laugh" - Seniors' event with Bernard Ecker
- Sunday 20 November - 11:00 - 4:00
Mitzvah Day - give your time not your money. Community activities to support this day
- Thursday 24 November at 2:00pm
Seniors' Current Affairs group in the Community Centre
- Monday 28 November at 2:00pm
Seniors' Scrabble and Card Afternoon in the Community Centre
- Wednesday 30 November at 8:00pm
Torah L'Am and Dare to Daven courses - Register now - see [Living & Learning] page for details
Mazal Tov Sammy on your Barmitzvah. We are so very proud of you.
With all our love from Mum, Dad, Jonathan and all your family and friends.
[top of the page]