Shabbat 04 June 2011 - 02 Sivan 5771
Commences at 8:00pm
Mincha & Kabbalat Shabbat at 7:30pm
46th day of the Omer
Sedra for the week:
Naso - Hertz page 586
Judges 13: 2-25 - Hertz page 602
- RABBI MENDEL LEW will address the congregation
- CHAZAN JONNY TURGEL will lead the service
- ADRIAN PINKUS will lead Pesukei DeZimra
- Dr PETER KRAUS will lein the Sedra
- JON DUBINER will read the Haftarah
- SAUL RUDOLPH will lead Anim Zemirot
- Hospitality (upstairs): RUTH PROOPS
- Hospitality (downstairs): ALAN KROL
- This Week's Presiding Warden: ANDREW EDER
SHACHARIT - Main Shul
RABBI MELVYN BLOOM's Shiur will be at 8:30pm
MINCHA at 9:15pm followed by Shiruim by Rabbi Lew & Rabbi Shaw
MA'ARIV at the termination of Shabbat at 10:15pm
The Kiddush in the Freeman Susman Hall is sponsored this week by
the Stanmore L'Chaim Fund
Bnei Akiva meet this Shabbat 3:30-5:30pm
- Shacharit at 8:30am
Mincha & Ma'ariv at 7:30pm
Monday, Tuesday & Friday - Shacharit at 7:15am
Monday - Mincha & Ma'ariv at 7:30pm
Tuesday & Wednesday - Shavuot - Mincha & Ma'ariv at 7:32pm
Wednesday & Thursday - Shavuot - Shacharit at 9:00am
For full Shavuot timings see 'Focus on Shavuot' below
Next Friday - Shabbat begins at 8:00pm
and Service in Shul will be at 7:30pm
Social and Personal
We offer our sincere condolences to:
- Liz Lightstone on the loss of her mother, Miriam Lightstone. Shiva ended.
- The family of Leslie Jackson. Shiva ended.
We wish 'Long Life' to the following members on the consecration of Memorial Stones:
- The family of Rose Richards on Sunday 05 June at 1:00pm at Waltham Abbey.
- Betty Sheldon for her husband, Jack Sheldon, on Sunday 05 June at 4:30pm at Bushey.
- The family of Stella Greenburgh on Sunday 12 June.
Nomination forms are now out for those ladies who wish to stand as Representatives at
The United Synagogue Trustee Table.
There are 2 places available - contact the shul office for more details.
Focus on Shavuot
Tuesday 07 June - Erev Shavuot
- Intermediate Tikkun Leil - 6:15pm at the Bower's home
- Mincha and Ma'ariv - 7:32pm
- Candle lighting - 8:00pm
- Young adults and youth dinner - 8:30pm at shul
- Tikkun Leil Shavout - 10:30pm at shul - refreshments will be served throughout the night.
There will be separate tikkunim for youth, young adults and adults.
- Women's Tikkun Leil - 11:00pm- 1:00am at the Rudolph's home
Wednesday 08 June - First Day Shavuot
- Early Shacharit - 3:00am (all welcome)
- Shacharit - 9:00am
- Children's Tea Party - 4:30pm at shul
- Women's Tea and Torah - 5:30pm at the Schneiderman's home
- Mincha and Ma'ariv - 7:32pm
- Candle Lighting - after 9:20pm from an existing flame
Thursday 09 June - Second Day Shavuot
- Shacharit (Megillat Ruth) - 9:00am
- Yizkor - 10:30am (approx)
- Mincha and Rabbi Lew's shiur - 9:10pm
- Yomtov ends and Ma'ariv - 10:21pm
Focus on our Eruv
Construction of the Eruv is progressing steadily. So far we have completed construction of approximately 65% of the fencing work.
The first sets of poles should be installed by the end of the week. If there are no unforeseen hitches construction will be completed by the end of the first week in June.
This leaves a further four weeks for essential inspection and testing before the Eruv is ready for use. We therefore hope to have the Eruv operational in late June / early July.
The Eruv and You
With the reality of the Eruv just a few weeks away, and the anticipation of the community rising, the following program has been developed to engage the whole community at different levels:
- Monday 06 June: Rabbi Lew's Lunch & Learn will be about the Eruv.
- Shabbat 04 June: Rabbi Lew will give a short shiur to the Youth Service on the Eruv.
- Shabbat 11 June: Rabbi Lew will visit the Toddlers and Children's services to speak to the youngsters and their parents about the Eruv.
- Shabbat 18 June: Rabbi Lew will speak at the Intermediate service about the Eruv.
- Shabbat 11 June and Shabbat 18: June Rabbi Lew will give text-based shiurim on the Eruv at his Shabbat Mincha Shiur.
- Monday 04 July: Rabbi Lew will give a short presentation on the Eruv followed by a Q&A session at the Women's Rosh Chodesh Group. This is an open event for all women of the community.
See [www.stanmore-eruv.org.uk] for more information and to register to support the upkeep of the eruv.
Are you receiving our weekly e-Newsletter? If not please [Sign Up] so as to be kept up to date with everything happening in the Stanmore & Canons Park Community.
If members know of someone who is unwell and who would like to receive a hospital visit or phone call from one of our Rabbonim, they should please contact the synagogue office.
If you know that someone on the Refuah Sheleimah list has recovered, kindly inform the Shul office so that their name can be removed from the list of those needing a prayer for the sick.
Stanmore Synagogue Community Care offers help and support to members in a variety of different ways. Please phone 8954 3300 in total confidence.
If you are looking for work or a voluntary position, or you have work to offer please visit our [Employment Opportunities] page.
Keep in contact with us and ensure we have your up-to-date contact details including your email address via our [contact] page.
- Scouts, Cubs, Beavers, Guides, Brownies, Rainbows, Art Class and Craft Class - check with leaders
- Living & Learning [program] details
- Rabbi Lew's Lunch & Learn - Monday at 12:30pm
- Rabbi Melvyn Bloom's Mishna Shiur - Monday at 7:45pm
- Ladies Shiur led by Shelley Morris - Tuesday at 10:30am
- Friendship Club - Tuesday at 12:30pm
Dates for your Diary
- Shabbat 04 June
The Big Question - Discussion and seudah
- Thursday 02 June
Stanmore Women's Learning Service pre-Shavuot shiur to be given by Jacqui Rudolph at the home of Shelley Morris at 8:00pm. All women welcome.
- Tuesday 07 June
Tikkun Leil - Learning and refreshments through the night
- Wednesday 08 June
Children's Shavuot Tea Party
- Wednesday 08 June
Ladies' Tea and Torah - Shavuot learning programme
- Monday 13 June
Stanmore Wizo luncheon - for details contact Gena Turgel, MBE
- Friday 17 June
Bnei Mitzvah Dinner - for families with children in Years 7 & 8. Book through the 00Community Department.
- Sunday 19 June
BBQ for Parents of Children in Year 4 and under - book through the Community Department
- Thursday 23 June
US COUNCIL RE-ELECTION Q&A AT STANMORE - Stephen Pack and Peter Zinkin, candidates for President of the United Synagogue, will make short presentations and take members' questions - All welcome.
- Monday 04 July
Stanmore and Woodside Park Israel Committees OPEN GOLF DAY AND DINNER
We thank those members who have generously donated
to the Stanmore L'Chaim Fund.
If you wish to make a donation please contact Lewis Bloch.
[top of the page]